Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a typical CPLD do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Cool

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sorry for my basic question, but i am not entirely sure of capability of a CPLD.

let's say i have two incoming signals and i want to know how much time passes between the two. so, when signal_1 goes high, it could trigger an 8-bit synchronous counter and the counter would stop when signal_2 goes high thus the measurement how how much time is between the two signals has been determined and "stored" in memory as a value with variable name delay_12. sound reasonable?

then, this is my question. i want for all future events when signal_1 goes high, to add delay_12 to it. so that output_1 = signal_1 + delay_12.

is this possible?

how would this normally be accomplished? simulate in simulink first and then simulate in VHDL and compare the two?

Its a little vague - what exactly do you mean by

output_1 = signal_1 + delay_12?

is output 1 just a delayed version of the input? what is the wider application?

but it sounds pretty straight forward. I doubd many people use simulink. Most would probably just code it up, write a testbench and put it on the chip.

yes that's right, output_1 is just the delayed version of signal_1. i guess i have to go read some digital design books or something to learn how to do this. :)

so the first part, determining the delay. does a synchronous counter sound like a good way to do that? then i want to preserve this result for later use, does that mean i store this value in CPLD RAM?

Last edited:

synchronous counter yes. Storage of the value would be in another register.
The input will go into a shift register, and the stored counter value will then just select which tap from the shift reg to use.

Reactions: Mr.Cool

Mr.Cool

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back