Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with a megafunction ALTCLKCTRL of QUARTUS II

Status
Not open for further replies.

niala72

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am using QUARTUS II 13.1 Web Edition.

Yesterday I have found another bug, when a signal is named pixels_y2 it generates a strange error and if I rename it to pixels_z2 there is no error. Other signals pixels_x0, 1, 2, 3 and so on give no error, idem pixels_y0 and 1. Very very strange.

Now I have tried for many hours to suppress this error :
cannot be used when clkselect port is not used or is a constant

The chip is a CYCLONE III or CYCLONE IV. The clock mux has 4 clock inputs. And also the tool does not accept if I connect the two PLL outputs with the clock inputs 2 and 3. It claims only one PLL input, contrary of the spec !!!

And I have tried many different ways to drive the select inputs 0 and 1 but the tool refuses to use more than one clock input, then WHY a multiplexor if i cannot use at least two pins ???

WHAT IS MY MISTAKE ???

I HAVE FOUND !!!

Firstly when I converted two pins freq0 and freq1 to a bus I named it freq1[1..0] but the 1 before [ was not in the individual signals freq[1] and freq[0] so the bus entries were bad, no signal at the select inputs of the clock bus. Error message not very easy to understand !

Secondly this CLOCK MUX has several limitations not very explained in the Cyclone IV family datasheet.

The clock inputs 2 and 3 are reserved for a PLL not two !!! We can take two outputs of the same pll (2 pll max in the EP4CE6 and CE10).

AND ALSO there is a problem with the FITTER. It is necessary to connect the pin CLK0 to the clock 0 input of the mux, not the 1 input !!!

Now it succeeds in a CE6 or CE10.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back