Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing a USB 3 connector with circular connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonym

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to replace a USB 3.0 connector with a circular connector and I am not sure how I should go about actually verifying that the new connector has sufficient signal integrity. I want to do this because I need to add more power to a device and only want to use a single removable cable. My plan is to get a custom USB cable made with additional power conductors in the jacket and a circular connector.

So far I know I should measure the following:
1) Cross talk between the conductors of the connector
2) Insertion loss
3) Impedance matching - probably TDR measurements on the signal as it propagates across the connector
4) Eye diagram

I don't have access to high end scopes (mine is limited to 1GHz), no VNAs, or purpose build TDRs, and no simulation software. What are my options here? I'd like to do something a bit more reliable than hacking it together and hoping it works.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question - if not, please refer me to the right subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.