Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Absolute Encoder Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyWhy

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to build a absolute encoder for measuring position. But i can't find the way to build the disc. Is there any way or source? Below is the figure of absolute encoder and the reference which i study..

Figure:
encoder.jpg

Reference:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Regards,
YY

That picture has a strange perspective !

I suggest designing it in an art package (Photoshop, Gimp or similar) then laser printing it on overhead transparency film (OHP film). If necessary you can make it more rigid by fixing it to a transparent substrate.

Brian.

Hi,

The picture shows an incremental encoder, but you speak of absolute encoder.

What resolution do you want?
If you need 256 positions per revolution you need 8 tracks with data, best is to be gray coded.

Hope that helps
Klaus

Hi Kalusst,

The Picture shows an incremental encoder, but actually i need a absolute encoder which change the 4 bit track pattern like the figure below only right? I think i need 16 positions per revolution are enough for my project. Do you got any source how to make built it?
Thanks..

increment encoder:
gray.jpg

absolute encoder:
increment.jpg

Regards,
YY

- - - Updated - - -

Hi betwixt,

Mean i can use the laser printing all the tracks on a A4 paper ( circle shape ) for the DISC ?

Regards,
YY

No, not on paper - on overhead projector film. It's the transparent plastic film used by teachers when they project diagrams on to a screen. The projector is a light box and above it is a lens and mirror to project the image horizontally to a screen.

The film is completely clear and you can get types for inkjet or laser printing. If you use a laser printer you will get a sharper image but make sure you use film intended for use in laser printers because the inkjet type will melt in a laser printer and make a sticky mess!

Brian.

Hi,

in my eyes the headers to the pictures are interchanged..

for the pattern: i´d use VB to draw the picture directely to the computer.
or i´d calculate the positions and generate an EAGLE script to read in. Then with the data try to generate a stencil.

there are manyy other ways to do this...

Good luck
Klaus

Hi.

I interchanged my picture.. Sorry Klausst. I will try to draw it using visual basic and thanks for the idea using overhead projector film.

Regards,
YY

Status
Not open for further replies.