Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rc snubber and x2 capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

raman00084

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am running a motor rated 230v 6A 1h, through a relay i want to protect the relay terminals from binding together.
i got x2 capacitor with 275v rating can i use this x2 capacitor in parallel to the motor are i must go for rc snubber i found that rc snubber is usually .1mfd and 100ohms if so what capacitor i must use and the resistor wattage ratting.
i am confused between rc snubber and x2 capacitor which is best to use to protect relay contact.
please help thank you

A capacitor, in parallel with the motor by itself, will actually make the problem worse since it significantly increases the turn-on current surge, which is usually what welds the contacts. An RC snubber reduces arcing when the relay opens and that could help protect the contacts from that. So the answer is no to a parallel capacitor and yes to the RC snubber. The resistor power is generally negligible since the there is significant current through it only when the contacts open.

thanks for the reply can i use x2 capacitors for c in rc snubber, where should i use rc snubber parallel to the contacts are motor

Status
Not open for further replies.