Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altera Cyclone II BOard

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilna007

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my verilog code needs to read input from a text file.
the code was synthesized using Quartus II tool
but when i burn the code to Cyclone II kit . its not working.

is there any problem if i read the input from a text file

Reading text file during compilation or at run time? From which storage medium?

Unless you are using $readmem/$readmemh to load a ROM, any Verilog text I/O reading of files is ignored by synthesis tools.

i used $readmemb to read the text file.

still iam not getting the result.
thanks for your reply

Processing of design input files and possible problems will be reported in the Quartus compilation report. Memory initialization data are converted to a *.mif file that can be inspected. Everything at your fingertips.

my verilog code needs to read input from a text file.
the code was synthesized using Quartus II tool
but when i burn the code to Cyclone II kit . its not working.

is there any problem if i read the input from a text file

You can't 'read text file' directly from FPGA. How about instantiating a M10K memory block and initialize it with MIF?

You can't 'read text file' directly from FPGA.

What!?
[sarcasm_mode]
Sure you can just add a SATA interface to the FPGA and a Nios-II to control it. Then you can write software to pull data off the NTFS/FAT32/FAT16 drive. ;-)
[/sarcasm_mode]

What!?
[sarcasm_mode]
Sure you can just add a SATA interface to the FPGA and a Nios-II to control it. Then you can write software to pull data off the NTFS/FAT32/FAT16 drive. ;-)
[/sarcasm_mode]

'directly' ?

LOL...

While you're at it, add virtualization so to run full win7 OS too. ;-)

'directly' ?

LOL...

While you're at it, add virtualization so to run full win7 OS too. ;-)

Come on...now you're getting into the realm of fantasy ;-)...you need a processor with a bit more omph than a Nios-II to run win7...not sure anyone has a soft core processor with that much horsepower (gee, even an i7 has trouble running it).

Now you could run a 'nix on the Nios. I think the NEEK demonstration board uses something like a ulinux and keeps stuff on a memory card.

Come on...now you're getting into the realm of fantasy ;-)...you need a processor with a bit more omph than a Nios-II to run win7...not sure anyone has a soft core processor with that much horsepower (gee, even an i7 has trouble running it).

oh,... you WERE serious... okay.:oops:

Now you could run a 'nix on the Nios. I think the NEEK demonstration board uses something like a ulinux and keeps stuff on a memory card.

BTW, we have this on-going project:
https://code.google.com/p/cubicboard/

A co-worker of mines had Linux (uclinux?) running on NIOSII on CycloneV. Anyone interested please let me know.

Beyond off-topic chat, we still don't know what the OP wants to achieve, what he's actually doing and where it goes wrong.

Maybe he's using $readmemb for memory initialization as required and there's an unrelated issue. Maybe he imagines $readmemb to read data at runtime. But if so, from which file on what media?

Unfortunately the OP's posts are pretty ambiguous.

Status
Not open for further replies.