Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the typical value of Mosfet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ug02048

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mosfet what is typical gm value

e. g Width and Length etc

w/l ratio typical value

Typical value of MOSFET for what? W/L = 10u/0.18u, 1u/0.18, 10u/0.6u, 1000u/0.6u

minimum dimensions are set by technology design rules. Max - whatever.
Question like that does not have answer.....

mosfet typical length analog design

Thanks Teddy. Im trying to design an analog delay line as my undergraduate project. my supervisor has asked me to work out the W/L of the CMOS 0.35u. I believe chosing the W/L can vary the transconductance and/or reduce the Vgs drop across the Mosfet. am i correct?

Thanks

You'll have to find out what your target gm is and plug in the figures into the formula to get an approximation of the W/L. Your Vgs and Vds has to be large enough to keep it in saturation too. Consult your 0.35um process manual for other figures. Your min. length should be 0.35um.

ug02048

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
how do i find a target gm?

I personaly would start from the "Spec". What should be the minimum delay, max delay, is it variable delay or fixed delay, should it be differential or not?
What size are your I/Os or is it just block without any output spec? (VOH, VOL etc)

You should probably make a calculation of the "stage" delay ( I am sure you had it during the course) and based on the calculation and the spec. you should be able to figure that out.

If you want just to put something quick together I would say 5/0.35 seems quite reasonable .... (though a little big)

ug02048

Thanks, what I meant by the delay line is actually an analog shift register. it really is just connecting a bunch of S/H circuit and a few buffer together.

say I want to make a switch for the simple S/H circuit what gm should it be?

It depends on the speed requirement.

ug02048 said:
Thanks, what I meant by the delay line is actually an analog shift register. it really is just connecting a bunch of S/H circuit and a few buffer together.

say I want to make a switch for the simple S/H circuit what gm should it be?

Finding a MOS switch size for a S/H is a different kettle of fish. In this case, you won't need to know the gm. You should concentrate on the ON resistance of the MOS. Try looking up Phillip Allen's book for MOS switches. You also don't want to make it too big, otherwise you'll get clock feed through.

ug02048

MOSFET is voltage controlled device and its properties mainly based on W/L ratio i'e width and length.L shows the technology you are using

length of the mosfet totally depends upon the technology u r using.then according to specification/s u can determine the width of the transistor

Teddy said:
Typical value of MOSFET for what? W/L = 10u/0.18u, 1u/0.18, 10u/0.6u, 1000u/0.6u

minimum dimensions are set by technology design rules. Max - whatever.
Question like that does not have answer.....

that's not true. minimum length is rarely used in analog design. also, many if not most has wmin, wmax , lmin, lmax for the model parameter fitting...

the length of a typical transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back