Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparison of two integer saved in array

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecaits

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All Friends,

I want to compare two integer array and want to know that which is greater. I have tried logic to compare MSB of each to LSB but I am not getting exact result.

For Example.

int data[5] = '12334" and int sample[5] = "11274" are two integer array and I want to compare that which array is greater.

Plz suggest me how can I complete this?

Dear All Friends,

I want to compare two integer array and want to know that which is greater. I have tried logic to compare MSB of each to LSB but I am not getting exact result.

For Example.

int data[5] = '12334" and int sample[5] = "11274" are two integer array and I want to compare that which array is greater.

Plz suggest me how can I complete this?
if the arrays are the same length and don't contain negative values the following should work?
Code:
    int i, data[5] = {1,2,3,3,4}, sample[5] = {1,1,2,7,4};
    for(i=0;i<5;i++)
    if(data[i]>sample[i]) { printf("data > sample \n"); break; }
    else
       if(data[i]<sample[i]) { printf("sample > data \n"); break; }
    printf("equal\n");

"11274" is a string literal not an integer. The initialization statements are filling part of the integer arrays with characters.
- Is this what you want?
- In which sense do you want to compare the strings?

Actually, I want to compare the setvalue and process value. If process value is higher than setvalue then I want to make one of the pin high logic. I have stored setvalue in EEPROM and process value is stored in one array. I read the setvalue from EEPROM and stored it again in another array. So I want to compare these two array and want to observe that which is higher.

Actually, I want to compare the setvalue and process value. If process value is higher than setvalue then I want to make one of the pin high logic. I have stored setvalue in EEPROM and process value is stored in one array. I read the setvalue from EEPROM and stored it again in another array. So I want to compare these two array and want to observe that which is higher.
what type is this data ? e.g. an array of integer vales
Code:
sample[5] = {1,1,2,7,4};

or as your original code
Code:
int data1[5] = "12334" ;
where, as FvM states, you have initialised an integer with an array of characters

this definition gives an error with GNU C
Code:
C:\temp\zz.c|5|error: array of inappropriate type initialized from string constant|

I would expect process value and setpoints represented by simple signed or unsigned integers, neither arrays nor character strings. In case that the setpoint is given as a decimal string, it would be converted to an integer number, e.g by atoi() before comparing it with the process value.

this definition gives an error with GNU C
Yes, that's helpful to indicate the possible user error. Other compilers are simply filling up the array with characters.

I would expect process value and setpoints represented by simple signed or unsigned integers, neither arrays nor character strings. In case that the setpoint is given as a decimal string, it would be converted to an integer number, e.g by atoi() before comparing it with the process value.

Yes, that's helpful to indicate the possible user error. Other compilers are simply filling up the array with characters.
if the data are simple integers you can compare them so
Code:
    int i, data = 12345, sample = 11274;
    for(i=0;i<5;i++)
    if(data>sample) { printf("data > sample \n"); break; }
    else
       if(data<sample) { printf("sample > data \n"); break; }
    printf("equal\n");

Status
Not open for further replies.