Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Periodic and Discrete x(n) in Time Domain from IDFT/IFFT of X(k) in Frequency Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer_eda

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

DTFT of a finite length and discrete time signal x(n) is periodic with 2*pi and continues in frequency domain.

With DFT or FFT we find discrete and periodic X(k) in frequency domain for finite x(n).

So lets say we have a X(k) in discrete frequency domain and we want to make IDFT(IFFT). My question is that by performing IDFT do we get a periodic and discrete time x(n) signal (with N samples)?

Thanks in advance!

I would appreciate if anyone help me on this query.

My question is that by performing IDFT do we get a periodic and discrete time x(n) signal (with N samples)?
Yes. Performing IDFT of an N-point X[k] (k=0,...,N-1) you get a sequence of N-point different (in general) values x[n] (n=0,...,N-1).
It can be seen in the formula of IDFT that substituting n by n+N you get the same result, i.e. x[n] is periodic with period N.
DFT and IDFT are (except for a factor N and a sign accompanying "j") symmetric in their properties.
Regards

Z

Thank you Zorro. I am also trying to understand the output of the IFFT in OFDM system. The inputs X(k)s are generated by the constellation mapper in frequency domain and then then N parallel X(k) inputs are given into the IFFT block to create N-parallel subcarriers in time-domain.

If I am correct, according to the DFT formula, each X(k) of N-samples in 2*pi period is representing the discrete-time x(n) with N-samples in one period.

For the output of IFFT block in OFDM system, the inputs (N inputs) are in parallel and we get N-parallel discrete time x(n) subcarriers in different orthogonal frequencies. Is each of these N-parallel subcarriers periodic with 2*pi and has N-samples in each period?

Thanks in Advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back