Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is permittivity and relative permittivity and difference between those two ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pusparaga

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sir,
I want to know,what is permittivity (ε) and relative permittivity (εr),what is the difference between permittivity and relative permittivity.
As per as me, permivittivity is, any dielectric material how much electric field permit to allow through it, if it is less relative permittivity material (εr), it allows easily the electric field . If it is more relative permittivity material, it will not easily allow the electric filed lines through it,so that it has more tangential loss.

Please can you make it clear definitions,differences and significance,while choosing the any dielectric material.

Dear Sir,
I didn't understand properly permittivity and relative permittivity, can you anybody explain it.

permittivity of free space = E0 and permittivity of a meterial is Er. The word relative itself gives the answer. Permittivity relative to the dielectric medium is the answer.

Dear Sir,
How both permittivity and relative permittivity are related to the electric field lines and capacitance.What is ε(permittivity) and εr. As we know ε= ε0εr, ε0= free space permittivity and εr= relative permivittivity ,then εr=ε/ε0. What is the meaning of absolute permittivity(ε) and, how it is related to the εr.

Last edited:

Dear Sir,
Can you someone give elaborate and clear answer for my posting

absolute permittivity = relative permittivity (er) x permittivity of free space (e0)
Relative permittivity is also called the dielectric constant, so therefore it is unitless.

for vaccuum or free space, er = 1.
so absolute permittivity of free space is just 1xe0 = e0

Status
Not open for further replies.