Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference of forward voltage and Bias voltage source

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmdrdo

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what's the difference between the forward voltage and Bias voltage source.

I'm confuse with the functions of these voltages. especially when i look at them in the V-I characteristic of Diode.

The term "bias" is very general and describes a stable operating point in a circuit. Often for a diode, it refers to a "reverse" voltage where the diode is "off" and not conducting. So, for a diode, the forward voltage is the voltage across the diode when it is "on" and conducting normally. It is the region in the upper right quadrant of the IV curve. A bias voltage is a voltage across the diode when it is "off" and not conducting. It is the region in the lower left quadrant of the IV curve. Another way to think of a diode bias voltage is a "reverse" voltage. So, there are forward and reverse voltage. A "Bias voltage source" for a diode would be a voltage source which puts a stable, reverse voltage on the diode.

One use of reverse biasing a diode with a voltage source is in clamp circuits which provide overvoltage protection. Normally, the diode is off. However, if a signal voltage on the other side of the diode exceeds the bias voltage plus the diode forward voltage drop, the diode turns on and limits the signal voltage. Also, photo-diodes are reversed biased to enhanced their light response.

Status
Not open for further replies.