Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermocouple output voltage isolation in temparature transmitter (4-20mA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu M S

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi...
I need to provide isolation for thermocouple for temparature transmission (4-20mA). Means i have to provide separate ground for thermocouple.. I selected analog devices ADum1100 digital isolator.
The only source is +24V which i am giving for XTR116 which outputs 4-20mA.
Problem is Isolation means i need to separate ground of thermocouple (-ve) from remaining grounds. If i use a digital isolator for isolation where +5V required for its operation is supplied by XTR116, isolation between thermocouple ground and other grounds wont happen? Please suggest me some ideas ....

If still information is required ask me i will post....

Thanks in advance...

The thermocouple is an analog device (not to be confused with Analog Devices), a DIGITAL isolator will do you absolutely no good. Also, you don't need to ground the thermocouple, you need to actually use a differential input device. There are LOTS of solutions, here's one: AD8494.

The thermocouple is an analog device (not to be confused with Analog Devices), a DIGITAL isolator will do you absolutely no good. Also, you don't need to ground the thermocouple, you need to actually use a differential input device. There are LOTS of solutions, here's one: AD8494.

Dear sir if i am using digital isolator i can interface this between my pic microcontroller (ADC) and DAC..

Direct thermocouple interface ICs are available but which are costly.....

Do AD8494 provides ground isolation? I studied its datasheet, they provide input filtering and amplification.. but not ground isolation...

or
Do common-mode rejection feature of ad8494 is same as ground isolation? i think not...

I don't understand. What are you isolating from what? Is the thermocouple grounded? What do you mean by "if i am using digital isolator i can interface this between my pic microcontroller (ADC) and DAC"? Your OP said nothing about a PIC. Where is the PIC in your signal chain? Do you want to isolate your PIC from ground?

Please clarify. A schematic or block diagram would help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.