Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between USB protocol analyzer and USB exerciser/emulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayaprolu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the Difference between a "protocol analyzer" and "emulators/exerciser" of device , example say USB or any other peripheral like I2C, EMAC, etc. ?

A protocol analyzer typically captures traffic pertaining to a specific protocol for later analysis this task is usually carried out without effecting or disturbing the original system under analysis.

While an emulator/exerciser typically refers to a device designed to emulate a particular microcontroller, microprocessor or a peripheral device attached to a particular bus protocol like I2C, SPI, RS-232, etc.

Emulators for microcontrollers or microprocessors are typically referred to as In-Circuit Emulators (ICE) and offer a more comprehensive list of features for debugging methods combined with trace capture and analysis.

Emulators for a particular bus protocol can typically emulate a specific peripheral device through the means of scripts and other programmatic methods.

Do these points help your understanding?

BigDog

Hi,

Thank you so much. It kind of gives me an understanding on basic difference. But i m trying to understand it w.r.t the following perspective:

USB example -

USB device (mouse/pendrive...etc) ------(USB interface)----------> PHY (SMSC/Micrel/ etc..)------- (ULPI interface)-----------> FPGA/ASIC

In the above scenario, I want to write/read data between FPGA/ASIC (where my USB controller resides) and PHY. Check its validity in every mode of USB.
I also want to check the data transfer from USB device to PHY (bulk data) and further transfer it to controller.

How can analyser/emulator/exerciser play role here? What does it do for me in this scenario.

Thank you so much !!

Status
Not open for further replies.