Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LT3652 solar charger - low charging current and hot IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedreg

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing and building device that will work outdoor self-powered using solar panel and battery. Solar panel rated 10W gives Im=0.65A (short-circuit) and has power peak at Um=16.8V (21V open-circuit). The VRLA battery from Yuasa is rated 4Ah 12V (13.65V floating). I followed data sheet and designed circuitry with C/10 loading (no timer) so for this battery it is 0.45A limited by Rsense=0R22 and using extra 6v2 zener diode for BOOST pin proper voltage range. I am using tantalum capacitors as Cout/Cin (4u7/20V as I could not find 10u) as well as boost capacitor (2u2 between SW and BOOST). Power inductor initially used are rated 2.5A; I tried 15uH (approximated from other designs) and 68uH (calculated from datasheet).

Using lab power supply I observed that charging starts correctly when voltage reaches Um voltage. Problem starts when LT3652 is charging. I measured ~0.2A as charging current with voltage drop close to 45mV on Rsense (so it is not problem with current limiter that applies at 100mV). I was trying different power inductors from 4u7 to 220uH giving different max charge current, all far from expected maximum. I tried different capacitors, electrolytic produced even lower current. When charging IC gets really hot and it should not be that much for such low current (2A rated chip).

As I am not sure about tantalum caps rating, is it possible for such problems with their regular ESR (not low-ESR)?
Would PCB layout lead to overheating and current drop? (I expect that design flaws would lead to noise emission, grounding problems with non-zero referential voltage etc).

regards,
-andy.

Last edited:

Could be a layout issue, causing oscillation at high frequency. A photo of the build would be helpful.

I have found couple flaws already. First, too small PCB pad for heat dissipation, just twice bigger than MSOP case are - I have designed very large pad now. Next, for high current path I had long tracks and ground incorrectly isolated; new PCB will have Cin/Cout/Df/Rsense/L as close as possible and only one point of contact between high current ground and remaining parts. Also I see in datasheet that ceramic 10uF as Cout is a must and low-ESR as Cin, while I have normal tantalum. So far I worked with DC/DC converters switching with frequency less than 100kHz less restrictive in terms of layout and component parameters. I am waiting for ordered ceramic caps and low-ESR tantalum caps. I will share news after I re-assembly it on new PCB.

So I have redesigned PCB, got my components and LT3652 is just warm as I made large pads. To my surprise it still was generating 250mA of current util (shamed) I discovered that battery is close to charged, thus resistive enough to not accept more current. This is because I have left the battery charging for too long. The LT3652 is programmed to keep constant voltage so the current drops as the battery gets closer to full charger state. I have discharged battery and now it accepts as much current as limited by Rsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.