Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it difficult to program AVR MCU using Assembly language??

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomgun_lc

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
assembly language avr code

Is it difficult to program osing assembly language?Or easier if i use C compiler or another compiler?Because i ussually use assembly language in 8051.

Re: Is it difficult to program AVR MCU using Assembly langua

If you now C is easy to programming with C comliper but in assembler you have much more control about resurces (timers,I/O ports, etc..) . I use Assembler ( AVR studio4 from Atmel company).

Well, if you already code in ASM on 8051 then all you really need is an Instruction set update :)

Have a look here..
http://www.avr-asm-tutorial.net/

Previously i write programs for 8051 in assembly like you too. Then i find it easy for me to program in C for 8051.

After getting familiar with 8051, i moved to AVR. I learnt AVR assembly language mainly from sample programs. An excellent website for this is h**p://www.avrbeginners.net. I use AVR Studio, it is very convenient.

The point is, it is not difficult to program AVR with assembly.

Good luck.

hi,
if u have extensive experience in 8051 assembly i think it is easier to write it avr assembly, code is compact and generally all your "time" requirements are met.
pimr

I started with Pic, moved to 8051 and now I am using AVR (all in assembler) and they all have their pros and cons. My biggest gripe with AVR are the equates. For example if yo have an LED on port A bit 3, you cannot equate portA,3 as LED. You have to equate LED=3 and then refer to it as PortA,LED, instead of just LED. The problem is if you move the LED from 1 port to another, you cannot just edit the equate. But having said that I still found AVR assembler quite easy to master.
AVR studio (which is free) does have a few bugs but they are quite manageable.
My conclusion - stay with assembler.

Status
Not open for further replies.