Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the difference between a cell and a battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junaid Alam

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cell Vs Battery

What's the difference between a cell and a battery?

cell Vs Battery

A battery is a group of cell to increase current or voltage or both.

This site is the best known source for questions like these -----> https://www.google.com

I hope you will not get offended.

Re: cell Vs Battery

A cell is the basic unit of an electrochemical generator. The cylinders you put into portable devices and have 1.5 V are one example.

A battery is a group of cells in one package. The small rectngular 9 V power source with snap connectors for portable devices are an example.

Battery in general definition is a group of things. There can be a battery of tests. A group of military canons is called a battery.

cell Vs Battery

Is it safe to put batteries of the same voltage, but different capacities in parallel?

My scenario: I have an old UPS with a 7AH battery, I would like to increase capacity. Should I just buy a larger battery, or could I hook another battery in parallel of same voltage rating but different capacity?

Sputnik :idea:

If both batteries are fully charged you can parallel them. After that they will discharge and charge by sharing the current each way.

Cell is the basic unit of battery

At school we always used to refer to cells as single cells, explains itself .
Think of your car battery 12volts 6 cells.

Barrybear

Galvanic cell: A device that is capable of spontaneously tansforming chemical energy into electic energy. Examples are flashlight batteries and fuel cells.

Batteries: A galvanic cell; or a group of galvanic cells connected in seies, in paallel, or in a seies-parallel combination fo the purpose of increasing their voltage or current capability.

Andrea

Sputnik said:
Is it safe to put batteries of the same voltage, but different capacities in parallel?

My scenario: I have an old UPS with a 7AH battery, I would like to increase capacity. Should I just buy a larger battery, or could I hook another battery in parallel of same voltage rating but different capacity?

parelleling batteries is not good idea. they should be pure identical. and it is impossible. i recomment you to use 12a battery.............not much than this.
because your charge circuit may be harm....

cell Vs Battery

The charging circuit isn't all that suffisticated(?), it just puts out 13.8v to the battery, but with no battery attached it puts out 19v.

Status
Not open for further replies.