Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on driving brushless dc motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottieman

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All

First I don't know do I post this question in a correct Forum. Do let me know if other Forums of eadboard is more suitable for motor discussion.
For simple brushless dc motor (BLDC), normally it has 3 wires. Two are Power and Ground of the stator winding. Another one is the output of Hall sensor.
My question is, if I don't care about the speed control, can I use a H-bridge to drive the Power and Ground wires of the BLDC using a 50% duty cycle square wave?
Also, it seems to me by changing the frequency of the driving square wave, the speed of motor is changed too (i just need change regardless how many RPM it is).
Am I correct? Do let me know any corrections or suggestions you have... I am just a newbie in motor :)

Thanks

For simple brushless dc motor (BLDC), normally it has 3 wires. Two are Power and Ground of the stator winding. Another one is the output of Hall sensor.
I presume a misunderstanding. BLDC motors have usually 3 hall sensors and a 3-phase stator winding.

If you have a BLDC with 3 wires, it has built-in driver electronics. You typically have 2 power supply and a speed control wire. Or it's a synchronous motor without any hall sensors. It might work for an application that don't need much starting torque, e.g. a propellor motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.