Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Home Automation System

Status
Not open for further replies.

styx1.618

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello! I am thinking of developing a home automation system based on X10 and PIC microcontroller. I'm quite comfortable with the use of uC but don't know how to interface X10 module to mains. Any ideas about that?? HELP.

Thanks a bunch, tpetar !

Sorry for jumping in late, I just saw this post.

Which components of X10 do you want to make? Do you have any already, such as a TM751/RR501 or a lamp module or an appliance module?

I have developed some X10 modules a couple years back, and I too used pics. If you give more details, I might be able to nudge you in the right direction.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

The thing is, i don't really know from where to take off. I have a notion that i may require a Rx Tx thing to transmit and receive X10 commands. Coupling with mains and other stuff is quite alien for me.

In that case, your best route would be to use the PL513 or TW 523 powerline interfaces (now renamed, and available on the last URL listed by Tpetar.

These give you complete isolation from the mains, can connect directly with your micro and also take care of the 120khz modulation/demodulation required by X10.

On the pic side, if you happen to use Picbasic Pro, this compiler has ready commands to handle X10.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

One other option is a higher-level interface like a CM11A, which sends/receives X10 commands over the powerline using a serial port. It too handles isolation for you, and the serial protocol is simple enough that you can probably get it working in a day or two; even if you start from scratch.

However, I can't recommend the CM11A itself. I've been running a large X10 system for ten years or so, and in that time I've had three burn out. They've locked up dozens of times, requiring a power cycle to reset. Their TX signal is also fairly weak, resulting in lost commands to X10 devices in more distant areas of the house; and since devices can't report their state, there's no way to detect when this happens.

For the last three years I've been using a XTB-232 instead, made by Jeff of JV Digital Engineering. It's CM11A compatible, works flawlessly, and has stronger TX. A bit pricey at $99, but as I haven't had a single issue since the upgrade, I feel it was well worth it. Jeff also has a replacement for the TW523 (the XTB-523) with similarly upgraded TX if you prefer a low-level interface.

Finally, X10 was invented in 1975. It's outdated and limited. At the time I built the majority of my system, manufacturers were trying to dump old inventory for whatever they could get for it; which made it cheap and attractive. Now supplies are limited and prices for X10 equipment just keep going up, while other home automation system prices are going down. If I were to build a system today, I'd give other systems a serious look.

Status
Not open for further replies.