Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Automation of AIR CONDITIONER through sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankit3092

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to automate my AC. I want it to switch on as soon as I enter my room and turn off when I leave it. Now the problem is that if I use PIR occupancy sensor then If I go to sleep at night or make no movements then PIR sensor will think that room is unoccupied and it will trigger the AC off. So please give me suggestions what I can do in order to make fool proof sensor based automation system. Also is there any kind of sensor which just tells you is there any living body within its range irrespective of the motion of the body?????
Please Help!!!!!

this might work but suppose you are not sleeping on bed but relaxing motionless on sofa or on floor, then at how many places we ca install pressure sensor??? what do yo think @FvM?? Please give your suggestions???

InfraRed?
Unless the room gets hotter than your body heat.
Perhaps CO2 sensor to detect breathing

I fear, you won't find a perfect and affordable solution. Perhaps a motion sensor in combination with a direction sensitive light barrier in the door frame.

This project is for lights, maybe this can give you some good idea or direction for thinking (use Google translator) :

https://www.elektronika.ba/757/automatsko-svjetlo-za-hodnik/

Usually AC should be linked with room temperature and wanted temperature in that space, and not on non-stop continual work. You can set your AC to turn on/off on some temp point, if you have inverter tech this is even better for efficiency and electrical bill.

Best regards,
Peter

;-)

could you please explain something about CO2 sensor, I mean as there might be CO2 in the room if even no one is there. It might be possible!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

how direction sensitive light barrier works???

thanxs....i will get back to you very soon!!!

- - - Updated - - -

What I am thinking is that using a direction sensitive light barrier at the entrance of the room but with slight modifications. What I intend to do is that I will attach the Direction sensitive light barrier circuitry with a micro controller which will count the number of people entering the room and keeps incrementing and as soon as the counter value is one it triggers the AC On and if after that more people enter the room, nothing happens but counter just keeps incrementing and if anyone leaves the room counter decrements and as soon as the value reaches the 0, controller triggers the AC off.

Is it feasible?? I intend to use Atmega 16 as I am just a beginner with the controllers.

Can anyone provide me with the circuit diagram of this entire setup and also which relay to use to convert 5 volt output of controller to drive the ac load of 230 volts???

I have attached the circuit which I found on google for direction sensitive light barrier.

http://www.ecircuitslab.com/2011/07/direction-sensitive-light-barrier.html

please help!!!!

Last edited:

With an ATmega, the direction sensing feature can be implemented in software. It's determining which light barrier is interrupted or released first. Plausibility checks for multiple interruptions should be implemented.

For AC control, you'll nedd a power relay/contactor with sufficient current and power rating (e.g. 16 A, 2 kW).

if i want to transmit the signal from controller wirelessly through rf module....is it possible????

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you could help me with the circuit diagram please????

hi

Yes indeed there will be some CO2 in the air. You would also have to consider the effects of any plant life.
What you would need to do would be to watch for any changes indicating respiration.
I'm not sure how cost effective it would be though.

- - - Updated - - -

thanxs....i will get back to you very soon!!!

- - - Updated - - -

What I am thinking is that using a direction sensitive light barrier at the entrance of the room but with slight modifications. ...

please help!!!!

This would work but be prepared to work on the software and hardware. You will need to be careful of such things as false triggers
animals power brownouts etc.
This can be considered a passive control which is much easier to implement that an active one.
The downside is it only needs a single false trigger to turn the air con on for 2 weeks solid while you are away on holiday ;-)
(Probably not a serious issue but worth noting)

yes indeed, this might be a possible problem....but I guess no sensor based technology for home automation is fool proof!!! Isn't it????

Additional,

You can make something with active RF ID or with Bluetooth/WiFi.

For example:

For Active RF ID if you are in close to range of home, device will turn On, if tag is out of range device is off.

Bluetooth/Wifi similar like RF ID but require to have phone or other handheld device with Bluetooth/Wifi turned On. If device with "phone name" detected then turn On. Name can be "ASD213VXA9" for example.

Best regards,
Peter

:wink:

Thanxs Peter, it is really a nice idea you suggested.. plus could you please help me with the circuit diagram. Now i want to start asap. what I wish to do is that I will use an IR line sensor array to count the number of people entering or leaving and based upon that as soon as counter value is 1 it should transmit the signal to the AC switch using wireless RF communication. I have tried to make a block diagram.

Attachments

• prjct.jpeg.png
    prjct.jpeg.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 123

I will rather monitor direction In/Out and door status than count number of people.

Best regards,
Peter

There is a problem with monitoring in/out motion. Like suppose one person enters the room, AC is triggered On. Now when the second person enters the room AC will be triggered off, Also if this problem is resolved then also suppose you enter your bedroom, AC will be triggered on and when yo go to sleep, i.e., you are not making any motion, sensor will get a false signal that room is unoccupied and it will trigger the AC off. Now here you are sleeping and suddenly at midnight AC is triggered off, how will you feel?? :wink: . so counting becomes a very necessary part.

Any suggestions regarding this??

Regards

No, you also monitor direction, when second person enter device wait two outs and then off. Device is near entry door.

Plus you can use one PIR sensor in leaving room and one PIR in sleeping room, and if there is no detection in leaving room for 30min turn off, this will be for sleeping.

There is many combinations and solutions.

Yes that is what i am doing.. counting the number of ins and the comparing it with number of outs...based upon that only I am triggering the AC.

Could you please help me with the circuitry??

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back