Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which IGBT module should I use for motor speed controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garg29

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
which IGBT module to use

dear friends
i'm making a 440 volt A.C, 2 HP, 3 phase, induction motor speed controller using PWM. i have to use IGBT's (6 of them, as for 3 phase). which one would you guys suggesst to me .
thank you

Re: which IGBT module to use

You can choose from here:
**broken link removed**
These modules are six-packs.
You will need minimum 1200V @ 6A version.

garg29 said:
I'm making a 440 volt A.C, 2 HP, 3 phase, induction motor speed controller using PWM. i have to use IGBT's (6 of them, as for 3 phase). which one would you guys suggesst to me.
Attached figure is the specifications of 2-HP/3-phase/440V/60Hz induction motor from Western Electric (Frame Size: 1AI90L-4). In my opinion, the specifications of your motor should be more or less the same to 1AI90L-4. The full load current of the motor is 3.2A. However, the starting current of the motor is 4.3 x 3.2 = 13.8A. In my opinion, we should take into consideration the starting current when we size the rating of the IGBT. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

nicleo said:
The full load current of the motor is 3.2A. However, the starting current of the motor is 4.3 x 3.2 = 13.8A. In my opinion, we should take into consideration the starting current when we size the rating of the IGBT. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

It's for direct starting. In a speed controller the drive shouldn't start suddenly. It will start from zero speed so the starting current won't go up to 13A suddenly. But if there is a possibility for this then yes you are right the rating must be somewhat higher than the current rating of the motor. Actually it must be higher than rated current in every situation less or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back