Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 Volt power supply for USB host port from li-ion accu

Status
Not open for further replies.

thseiler

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb accu

Hi

(I am new to this forum, got the address from a good friend...)

I need to add a USB 1.1 host port to an existing 3,3V microcontroller design.
(plan to use ISP1161 from philips as usb controller, it interfaces nicely to 3,3V)

My Problem: for the USB host port I need to supply 5 volts @ 500mA.
The existing design runs from a 3,65V, 1700mA/h Li-Ion accu.

Does anyone know of an IC that implements a high efficiency Charge Pump or Step-Up Converter to get 5V@500mA from a Li-Ion accu?

Best i have found so far is TPS60130 from TI, 5 volts@300mA with 85% efficiency.

Thank you very much
tom

max1811 step up

Hi

you have MAX1811 USB-Powered Li+ Charger.

best regards
Yodathegreat

thseiler said:
Hi

(I am new to this forum, got the address from a good friend...)

I need to add a USB 1.1 host port to an existing 3,3V microcontroller design.
(plan to use ISP1161 from philips as usb controller, it interfaces nicely to 3,3V)

Does anyone know of an IC that implements a high efficiency Charge Pump or Step-Up Converter to get 5V@500mA from a Li-Ion accu?

Best i have found so far is TPS60130 from TI, 5 volts@300mA with 85% efficiency.

Thank you very much
tom

accu 5v

thseiler said:

I did an online simulation using WEBENCH from National Semiconductor as follows:
**broken link removed**
From the simulation, National Semiconductor recommended several switching regulators that offer up to 93% of efficiency. Also, those switching regulators are capable of delivering 0.5A at 5V.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.