Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert from 3 phase AC motor to single phase one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

river78

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
please help me?

How to convert from 3 phase AC motor to single phase AC motor?

please help me?

Which motor that you're interested?

If you're referring to induction motor, may be it's possible if you could rearrange the stator windings, e.g. put two windings on its stator that are displaced 90° from each other. One winding is connected directly to the single-phase supply. For starting (i.e. to produce a rotating magnetic field), the other winding is connected through a capacitor to the same supply.

Re: please help me?

There was an article posted a while back. Do a search.

Suggestion:
Instead of struggling with conversion of this motor, why not to emply a divice that changes single phase into three phase supply.
Thes devices are called VSD (variable speed drive).
They are inexpensive and commonly available in wide variety of sizes to suit 3-phase motors.

IanP said:
Suggestion:
Instead of struggling with conversion of this motor, why not to emply a divice that changes single phase into three phase supply.
That's a good suggestion, frankly speaking.

river78, do mind to share why do you wish to convert 3-phase machine to single phase? Is it because you do not have 3-phase supply? Or, is it for your own interest or assignment by your lecturer? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.