Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal energy & power

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaVshesh

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If a layman asks me

What is energy and power of a signal??

What reply should one give...

ENERGY SIGNAL:
x(t) (or x[n]) is said to be an energy signal (or sequence) if and only if 0 < E < infinity, and so P = 0.

POWER SIGNAL:
x(t) (or x[n]) is said to be a power signal (or sequence) if and only if 0 < P < infinity, thus implying that E = infinity.

Reactions: Mityan

Mityan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That is ok

But I want to know that energy of a signal is E=Integration(x(t)^2)

so what this value of E n joule represents

From physics the power is given by the product force*displacement (let's suppose only the case they are directed in the same direction). If we consider the motion of charges (electron) from a point A to B the displacement is represented by the current while the electric potential (voltage between A aand B) is the force that allows the motion of electrons, the the power will be P(t)=V(t)*I(t). If the voltage is applied to a resistor R, then we can write P=V(t)^2/R. This is the istantaneous power.
Speaking about signal often the power is referred to R=1.

But if I want to know the "effort" required to do a "job" I need to know how much time the power has to be applied. This is the energy; the product between average power and time.
For instance a MOV used to protect a line from overvoltage, has to be designed not only for a given amount of power, but also for "how many time it can absorb that power" ==> energy

This is equivalent to: I've to push my broken car; I need the power to make it moving but also I need the energy to push it for the time neccessary to reach an auto repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back