Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] APC Back-UPS CS 650 BK650EI dead - "On Battery" on, low voltage on battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvenH

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anyone know where to start with this one? After years of dis-use, I fired up my APC Back-UPS CS 650 BK650EI to no avail. The "On Battery" light stays on and the unit does not respond or supply power. This happens with or without battery. It only supplies 5.86V to the battery terminals so I suspect an electrical failure. Does someone have schematics, or experience with any similar issues?

Re: APC Back-UPS CS 650 BK650EI dead - "On Battery" on, low voltage on battery

From my experience with an old UPS which had gel-cells in it. 6V each, 4 of them...
They go bad gradually after 3 or 4 years, even though we had few blackouts.

The internal smart circuitry may do unpredictable things if one or more batteries is bad.

Try testing and charging each one individually. See whether it will take a charge, and hold a charge. Do not apply current greater than the safe limit. One single application of overmuch current can greatly reduce the useful life of a gel cell.

When I tested the UPS by hooking up the batteries alone, it did not work (even when the batteries were good). I found there is a relay inside, which first needs to activate by power from mains AC. Then when you remove mains AC, the relay switches over to battery power.

APC Back-UPS CS 650 BK650EI MAIN BOARD 640-0565_REV04
Do not turn on, the battery is discharged.
Typical fault, dry capacitor C38 22uF 50V 105C.
Thanks for your helpful replies. I tested a bit more and indeed the unit seems to drain the battery at startup, but the voltage of the broken battery is too low. I have ordered a replacement which I expect to arrive in a charged state. I will post the results.

Attachments

• APC Back UPS BK300MI,BK500MI_1.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 627
  • APC Back UPS BK300MI,BK500MI_2.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 542
  • APC Back UPS BK300MI,BK500MI_3.pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 495

Problem was solved with a replacement battery. UPS works fine now. I did not try to replace any capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.