Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is mean by wave port & lumped port in HFSS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chetali

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
can any one tell me what is the difference between Wave port & lumped port, through which we assign extension to antenna?

thanks. can u plz, elaborate this?

Thanking you in anticipation

wave port is used for external feeding as given in hfss manual..for example wave guides . we can assign wave port for micro strip transmission lines also..lumped port is used for internal feeding for example dipole antenna..the difference between those two ports is type of feeding..In lumped port we can assign the impedance (combination of resistance and reactance )

Hi, wave port is a perfect definition of a port which software calculates field distribution on it and impedance will be calculated too. But if there be no possibility to define the port inside the simulation volume, it is not the best solution but the only solution to define lumped port. Opposing the wave port, lumped port doesnt calculate the field distribution and only excites a voltage at the lumped port location and calculates current and extracts structure specifications. Thats why we can attribute an impedance to it.

Wave port represents a travelling wave coming from infinitive waveguide.It's got E and H components and port is not taken into account.
Lumped port is an ordinary RLC port and connection points ( Live and Gnd both ) are taken into account for port calibration.

BigBoss: which one is Good for Planar structure Simulation like Any microstrip filter..??

BigBoss: which one is Good for Planar structure Simulation like Any microstrip filter..??

For the structures such as Microstip Lines, Filters, Planar Devices that have no 3rd dimension (presumed they have very thin conductor depth) Lumped Port should be used to get a consistent result.But if you would see E and H field distribution over port plane ( For instance if port is connected to an antenna etc. ), waveguide port can also be used.

Hello BigBoss

I am very confused over port assignment and need your help.
I am simulating RF coil in HFSS. It has 8 turns of copper wire over toroid. Also there is a small ring kept at some distance 'd' at the axis of this RF coil.

Now my aim is to get the S parameter between this ring and coil. However I am struck at the port assignment.
Where on RF coil I should place my port???

Where on ring I should keep my port??

Should the port be lumped or waveport?

Please help/

Hello Friends,

For simulating microstrip patch antenna which port should be used?
My results differ a lot using lumped port and Waveport. Which port should i use to get a good agreement between simulation and practical results?

I suggest using waveport. You have to careful about the size of waveport. Wrong sized waveport could introduce impedance or right mode may not propagate. I think there is some guideline on waveport size that HFSS suggests when you apply it to the microstrip.

hi
pls give some video for lumped port assignment....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back