Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to output to a 7segment display without the decoder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesalem

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
74ls47 to serial

Is there a way to output to a 7segment display without the decoder. I am looking for a part that can take 4 bits and display those bits on to a 7 segment display.

Re: help 74LS47

If you have enough I/O pins your processor might be able to do this task without any external components (depends on the current consumption of your display).

best regards

As C-Man said this can be done.
In most cases the micros pins will be able to sink approximately 20mA of current and you will have to use 7-segment display with common Anode.

The code inside the micro will have a look-up table for conversion from BCD or anything else to 7-segmant ...

help 74LS47

If your signals displayed are from mcu, the method mentioned above is ok, if they are from CPLD or FPGA, the qestion becomes simple. their output can drive 7 segment display directly. it is very simple to program 7 segment display code, you can refer to some design example.

mesalem said:
Is there a way to output to a 7segment display without the decoder. I am looking for a part that can take 4 bits and display those bits on to a 7 segment display.
Your question seems quite confusing. The 74LS47 part does exactly what you need, which is to drive the display using a 4-bit input. If you are short on pins, there are refresh tricks that could be played on multiple displays. You've got to clarify your query.

you can use serial/parallel regester as 74ls164 that need tow wire in input and connect 7-segment with output

help 74LS47

why not use 74LS47, i think it is very convenient to design 7 segment display.

another options are cd4543 and cd4511,both easy to use and can drive the segments directly

help 74LS47

I heard of HEX display. It will serve ur purpose

if u use any microcontroller or anyother only use pgming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back