Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello ,about the 50 ohms microstrip !

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckinson

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ,guys . Anybody knows how to confirm the impedance of the microstrip ?
For example ,I have simulated the width of the microstrip for 50 homs .But I don't
know whether the impedance of pcb tracks from pcb manufactory is correct ? How to confirm ? Best regards !

mckinson said:
Hello ,guys . Anybody knows how to confirm the impedance of the microstrip ?
For example ,I have simulated the width of the microstrip for 50 homs .But I don't
know whether the impedance of pcb tracks from pcb manufactory is correct ? How to confirm ? Best regards !

Connect an 50 Ohm low ESR and inductance resistor (or 2 parallel 100 Ohm) at the end of line and measure with VNA.

You don’t need any extra components. Just measure with Network Analyzer, that is connected at both ends of the line.

vfone said:
You don’t need any extra components. Just measure with Network Analyzer, that is connected at both ends of the line.
Yes, correct, but usually it may be experimented that measured Zo differ a lot from the simulated one, also in the case that all is correct and well manufactured.
This is due to end effects and µstrip launchers.
To reduce this effect and focalize the attention to the line only, use a Time Domain VNA. Both Agilent and Anritsu have very efficent and useful TD algoritms.

Appreciated !Do you think that is accurate measure the character impedance Z0 by the VNA ?
Could you please tell me the detail stap for measurement ? Best regards !

By definition the main designation of VNA is to measure impedances.
Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) is more accurate than frequency domain Vector Network Analysis (VNA), because do not depend by frequency.
But for commercial applications frequency domain is more than ok.
Check this document:
**broken link removed**

u can also do it with network ana. just measure inserstion loss and return loss on smith chart. return loss will tell u the impedance of the line. if the rerunloss is as close as possible to center of the smith chart its a 50ohm line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back