Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting 0 - 240AC voltage to 0 - 5 Dc voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

armghan11

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey everyone i want to measure current and voltage using Pic16f877a for my final year project 'Non intrusive load monitoring system'. I want a simple circuit to convert ac voltage range from 0 - 240 to dc voltage 0 - 5v.... if anyone have proteus simulation and code please share :) Thanks

Its possible on several ways, such as voltage divider, hall sensor for voltage, prim/sec transformer.

But is there is purpose of measuring 0-240V? Usually voltage oscillations are monitored let say between 160V - 270V.

well measuring fluctuation between 160v to 270v would be ok too ...

main idea is to measure a current from main power supply of buidling...

What current range ?

You can see ACS712 hall sensor. Can measure current of both AC and DC.

There is three variants for 5A 20A and 30A, all three can measure negative and positive voltages.

Output from IC is prepared for uC ADC.

Example for ACS712-20 (20A) :

0,5V is -20A
2,5V is 0V
4,5V is +20A

ACS712 is very cheap, but current must flow through it.

images

But my opinion for safety that is better to use current transformer for this, or hall sensor without direct interruption of wires.

Hall sensor without wire interruption:

**broken link removed**

Current Transformer also without wire interruption :

**broken link removed**

Last edited:

Hey everyone i want to measure current and voltage using Pic16f877a for my final year project 'Non intrusive load monitoring system'. I want a simple circuit to convert ac voltage range from 0 - 240 to dc voltage 0 - 5v.... if anyone have proteus simulation and code please share :) Thanks

here's one obvious and simplistic method.
https://www.falstad.com/circuit/#$+...598.6310706507378+3.6537540933272573E-4+0+-1

extremely linear, extremely accurate, extremely cheap, extremely simple to implement. Why bother with anything else ?

Status
Not open for further replies.