Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Emergency LED lighting.......Emergency signage illumination vs genral lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

I was wondering if i could ask whether there were different regulations for Emergency Lighting depending on the "type" of Emergency Lighting?

For example, "true" Emergency Lighting, could be said to be luminaires which specifically illuminate Emergency Fire Exit Signage, -the luminaire being actually part of an Emergency Exit Sign.

Wheras "other" Emergency Lighting could be said to be simply battery powered lights which come on whenever general lighting fails due to a mains electricity failure....

.....The difference being that one is a light which is an intrinsic part of an Emergency Fire Exit Sign (or similar), and the other type, which is not.

Anyway, if there are differences in the standards for the above two types of Emergency lighting, i would be very grateful if you could inform of this?

Emergency Lighting and Exit Signs
**broken link removed**

Shading Lights
**broken link removed**

EMERGENCY LIGHTING AND WAY FINDING SIGNAGE
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks, but the docs dont say if the explained differences in regulations do occur or not.

One of the paragraphs talks about a one hour use. This is a throw away line because it means that the luminaire and its wiring must be fire resistant for this period. In the UK the circuits used to be wired in "Pyrotenix" wiring (mineral insulated, copper clad) which is totally heat proof up to the melting of the copper. Now it is some red plastic stuff.
Frank

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, i also wonder if lights that are an intrinsic part of emergency signage have different regulations to battery lights which come on if general lighting fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.