Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between AC Voltage Stabilizer & AC Voltage Regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Difference between AC Voltage Stabilizer & AC Voltage Regulator ?

what do you mean by " for all purpose including house hold " ? You are saying both are good .......

stabizers are used to maintain constant ac output voltage where as regulators are used to provide constant dc output voltage.so, stabilizers are used in electronic applications and regulators can be used in high power electrical applications.when comes to ac stabilizer and ac regulator, both will maintain a constant ac output voltage.

can you please help me how to build a 5kva automatic voltage stabilizer input from 50-300volt ac and output should be 220v approx.this 250 volt need to cover by 10 steps of 25 volt.i need the diagram of the circuit.greatfull if anyone can help.

At first I thought you were talking about voltage fluctuations in industy where huge powerful motors and welders are used. Then you said refrigerators, AC and TVs so it must be at home where your voltage fluctuates. Maybe the country you are talking about explains it.

Here in Canada the voltage in my home never varies half a volt from 121VAC even in the middle of winter when everybody drains the grid with Christmas tree lights suddenly when it gets dark out nor on hot days in the middle of summer with the drain of AC. In the middle of the night electricity is hardly used and just before dinner when everybody turn on lights and use their electric stoves the voltage barely changes. "Load sharing" is never done and there are no brownouts. All the wiring in my neighbourhood is underground with transformer boxes humming in the yards of homes about 20 homes apart.

I do not know how the electrical utility company provides such good voltage regulation and some of my old electric clocks show that the frequency is also extremely accurate. I also do not know how frequency is adjusted.

well can we use generator AVR instead of stabilizer????(like we use stabilizer in refrigerator so can we use generator AVR for Ac voltage regulation )

Since my AC voltage never changes then I have never seen an AVR or a stabilizer.

Hmm I talking to those who see AVR or stabilizer and know the difference and their working and by the way you can google and at least see there pictures so you will know how they look like.

Hmm I talking to those who see AVR or stabilizer and know the difference and their working and by the way you can google and at least see there pictures so you will know how they look like.
Since many of us have never been to your country then we have not seen your problems. Have you asked about your problems on a website in your country where people know what you are asking about?

Re: Difference between AC Voltage Stabilizer & AC Voltage Regulator?

Since my AC voltage never changes then I have never seen an AVR or a stabilizer.
In Pakistan and specially in my area we have a 220V in winter and around 80V in hot weather. isn't amazing? such a good professional approach of esteemed Pakistani Engineers? For the reason we use a bulky stabilizer. I have made my stabilizer @ 70VAC to 220VAC +10% for my home use.

- - - Updated - - -

Since many of us have never been to your country then we have not seen your problems. Have you asked about your problems on a website in your country where people know what you are asking about?

every body knows? that I am sure. unfortunately, the power problem is even a political stunt. we have a power crisis on our hand. our good government is doing nothing for every day 16Hours power break.

I do not want to discuss politics and civilization but my electrical system was designed and built to work properly and be reliable. I guess yours was not and I do not know why.

Re: Difference between AC Voltage Stabilizer & AC Voltage Regulator?

in Pakistan the "stabilizer" means Automatic Voltage Stabilizer, where an op Amp, comparator or MCU monitors the voltage and trigger the relevant voltage step in power transformer by means of relay or SCR etc, while in Voltage Regulator this processes is manually carried out by a rotatory switch.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not want to discuss politics and civilization but my electrical system was designed and built to work properly and be reliable. I guess yours was not and I do not know why.

I am really sorry Sir, subject got a wrong turn.

Here in Canada the voltage in my home never varies half a volt from 121VAC even in the middle of winter

Sadly, this is far from the norm in many developing countries. I am from Canada, but lived abroad for many years, especially in the Philippines. The mains can vary from 90VAC to 240VAC, though normally it would drop to 180VAC or so especially in the evening. Fluorescent lights would not start at a low voltage, so it was not unusual for people to turn on their lights in the late afternoon. It is unfortunate that as people compensated for the power problems, they ended up making the overall situation worse and often increasing their own electricity bill.

I put our lights on one circuit and had 2 AVRs [regardless of how they worked, either relay or motor driven, they were called AVRs] in series which handled most situations.

- - - Updated - - -

can you please help me how to build a 5kva automatic voltage stabilizer input from 50-300volt ac and output should be 220v approx.this 250 volt need to cover by 10 steps of 25 volt.i need the diagram of the circuit.greatfull if anyone can help.

That might be on the expensive side both because for the power [5KW] and the voltage range. If my math is right, at the worst case it has to handle 22,000 Watts input! There could be, as well, complications with the mains circuit breaker and wiring - leading to some serious safety issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I have made my stabilizer @ 70VAC to 220VAC +10% for my home use.

Perhaps you could share the design/schematics?

Last edited:

why not! I am just working on MCU base SCR circuit I will be glade to share....

PCB is under construction and will be ready in 3 days, I will post all the required (Scham, PCB, Hex, Doc) in 3 or 4 days .

Attachments

• stab.pdf
    105.5 KB · Views: 121

Status
Not open for further replies.