Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DR-DOS Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiikid6

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone! I am making a pentium III computer into a DR-DOS computer for a high school project. However I was wondering if DR-DOS is compatible with most if not all DOS Software. I purchased this from the site it is currently on so I got it legally. I want to run a few DOS games and programs and I need to know if it can use CD's or not. This is big since CD's are where almost all the good games are (not all though). So please help if you can! Also I'm planning on running Breadbox Ensemble Lite on it and I'm pretty sure that works.

Thanks,
Wiikid6

Yes you can run MS DOS games under DR DOS, just configure extended memory with HIMEM.SYS in config.sys

CD ROM is supported of course, you need adequate setup in config.sys also for that.

Also you can use DOS emulators under Windows OS such as : DOS Box, VMware,... and run original MS DOS games under this environment.

Wow, DR-DOS - there's a blast from the past. I bought it many years ago (when it was new). It should certainly be fine with most software., including standard CD-ROM drivers.

Unfortunately, I had to stop using it because Microsoft booby-trapped a certain Windows release (3.0 at the time, iirc) to crash if DR-DOS was used. Bad Microsoft! (It's true - they were caught out when someone found the code!)

Yes you can run MS DOS games under DR DOS, just configure extended memory with HIMEM.SYS in config.sys

CD ROM is supported of course, you need adequate setup in config.sys also for that.

Also you can use DOS emulators under Windows OS such as : DOS Box, VMware,... and run original MS DOS games under this environment.

I know of ways to configure the CD Rom drive for the Autoexec.bat and config.sys in MS-DOS is it the same way for DR-DOS? And how do you configure HIMEM.SYS? I've only used DOSBox for DOS. I need this to show that a computer can be made using old parts and sent to a poor community cheaply. As for Breadbox, I thought a different OS would help my grade.

Just read manual for DOS Box.

DOS Box is software to emulate DOS enivornment under Windows OS.

Or you can run real MS DOS or use some emulators like VMWare or DOS Box.

Status
Not open for further replies.