Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[MOVED] Why was Apple Company is named Apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dftrtl

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am always facinated by how COMPANY names are placed and thought good topic to share and discuss.
Please excuse me if I am posting in wrong place and move it to right section.

###############################################################################################################################
The history about the name of Apple Inc. is Steve gave his team members one day's time to think about a good name of his company otherwise he will put the company name A for Apple. He got many names at the end of the day but didn't like any one. So next day he named his company Apple.

There are various stories as to why the Apple name was adopted. Some say that it was just a name that did not sound like a techno geeky computer name. Steve Jobs has said that he was on a fruit only diet and declared that if no one came up with a better name he would call the company Apple. No one came up with a better name so it became Apple. Steve Jobs could not call it Apple because The Beatles already had the brand name Apple on there records, and the business name as well. It was taken to the high court in London and Steve jobs liked the name Apple as well as The Beatles. It was settled and Steve Jobs paid 26.5 million dollars to the Beatles company. It did not stop there he had further brushes with The Beatles company about iTunes.
###############################################################################################################################

So Apple started as they meant to go on then, by 'appropriating' other companies' stuff and pretending it is their own.

On a similar fruity note, the British company Apricot beat Apple to getting a system to market with a 3.5" diskette drive. Originally called ACT, the company was very innovative and produced some technologically (and aesthetically) superior designs, but in the end could not compete with the 'big boys' mass production and marketing. Shame.

I wonder how they came up with their name...?

There was also a Tangerine!
Many companies join two words, to try to reduce the chances of impinging on someone else's name, e.g. something like
techsoft, or futurewave, etc. Others pick totally unrelated names, e.g. monster.co.uk is unrelated to monsters but easy
to remember.
Others invent words that apparently look or sound nice, e.g. opodo.com. Also there were many "AAAAAATrading Ltd" etc., in
the days when people used a telephone directory instead of google to search, and it was physically more heavy to search for
"Z Trading".

I always believed and appreciated that they admire the apple in the story and selected this name for their company in respect of science.
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newtongrav.html
I think its another good imagination of my brain (blessings) to make me feel good about people of the world.

That is unlikely to be true, it must be an urban legend.
In respect of science maybe, but by all accounts Newton wasn't a very nice person. Surprise surprise Apple still didn't call
themselves, say, Hook Computer Company for instance. It would have made an interesting (and unsaleable) logo ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back