Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Things to know for a HW board design engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantharoopan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

As a beginner in HW board design, I would like to know what all the concepts/subjects that can help me excel in my field.
Even it is a basic thing, do tell me.

Start reading up about EMI, cross-talk and induction (Faraday's law & Lenz's law) in general. Then download one of the capabilities manuals from one of the PCB manufacturers, read through it, and ask them what the specs mean if you are not sure.

Thank you and very kind of you both :)
Would love to know more and do suggest me some articles or books related :cool:

Please go through Book called
High Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black Magic by Howard Johnson (Author), Martin Graham (Author)

Since everyone has given good suggestions about layout, i would say that depending on your design domain :

For Digital

Now-a-days digital boards among which FPGA, microcontrollers, Arm Processor based boards will be the application interests, designing with microcontrollers would be relatively easy but whereas for designing with FPGAs would entail some effort, some concepts are of critical interest like Configuration, Interfaces, Power, Banks etc., and for these i would suggest you to go to Xilinx website and look into user guides of any FPGA family and also look into the schematics of the evaluation platforms that they provide (you can download them).
You can also look at Beagleboard schematics they are open source with really nice user guide which describes each and every circuit on board.

For Analog -- I don't know what to suggest, all i know is keep it away from digital section of your board for grounding reasons.

Power
Power Distribution Network design is the most critical aspect of any board if this aspect is not efficiently addressed then don't expect the rest of the board to function, learn to do some power budget calculations of your board by looking into the datasheets of all your ICs and calculating their worst case maximum current needs etc.

I Hope this helps.

Thank you so much all!!
But I expected something to be from the very basics so that my basement gets stronger!

I had a recent discussion on 2 Layer board design, may be that will help because it covers many basic concepts and would definitely give you in detail the understanding that you require to design 2 layer boards. below is the link to that discussion.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/266271/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back