Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between a Virtual Machine and the Bootable OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravikanth_bvrkc

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
What are the differences between a normal bootable OS and the Virtual machine. As I see, the functionality is not way too different. But do they differ on any grounds? For example, if I make use of windows in VM, will it be one and the same as the Windows that is conventionally installed on a hard disk?

I use VMware, you can create several virtual machines with different OS in each one. Behavior of the OS is the same although slower. You will find differences in display, audio and network drivers. Because the virtual machine has to install its own. As the VM has no real hardware but uses the host PC OS to have access to devices.

I use VMware, you can create several virtual machines with different OS in each one. Behavior of the OS is the same although slower. You will find differences in display, audio and network drivers. Because the virtual machine has to install its own. As the VM has no real hardware but uses the host PC OS to have access to devices.
The very kernel that an OS uses is not same for all. For example, Linux uses Monolithic kernel while Windows uses Hybrid kernel. How do they actually do it? I lack clarity on this multiple kernel concept.

There are different ways that VMs can be implemented, so the answer varies.
Some require support from the host OS. However, today the predominant method
uses specific hardware extensions that manufacturers like AMD, Intel have implemented in their chips. These allow
the guest OSs to run at pretty much a similar speed with negligible performance hit., by giving the
guest OS's kernel access to the CPU much like the host OS's kernel has access. You'd really need to read up on
these extensions, and wikipedia helps somewhat, but
probably needs a textbook to do it justice (I'm no expert on this).

i use VMWare Virtual machine to run Mac OS (for developing apps and testing homemade software) and XP on a windows 7 computer. You can normally spec the amount of ram you want to allocate each of the virtual machines from your actual memory.

VM Ware is like running a computer within a computer. i think the only difference is that VM Ware usually replaces some of the major driver files for video, sound, input devices so that it can work.

It seems to store the virtual computer in a single file on your computer.

i use VMWare Virtual machine to run Mac OS (for developing apps and testing homemade software) and XP on a windows 7 computer. You can normally spec the amount of ram you want to allocate each of the virtual machines from your actual memory.

VM Ware is like running a computer within a computer. i think the only difference is that VM Ware usually replaces some of the major driver files for video, sound, input devices so that it can work.

It seems to store the virtual computer in a single file on your computer.
I wonder if it really has a change in the video and audio formats. :???:

There are different ways that VMs can be implemented, so the answer varies.
Some require support from the host OS. However, today the predominant method
uses specific hardware extensions that manufacturers like AMD, Intel have implemented in their chips. These allow
the guest OSs to run at pretty much a similar speed with negligible performance hit., by giving the
guest OS's kernel access to the CPU much like the host OS's kernel has access. You'd really need to read up on
these extensions, and wikipedia helps somewhat, but
probably needs a textbook to do it justice (I'm no expert on this).
That gives some idea. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.