Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb pen-drive moddification for write protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_england

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all friends please help me -- i want to write protect a pen drive by means of circuit. any help is greatly thankfull .

Most USB pen controllers have a pin on them to write protect the drive. You will need to find the data for your particular pen drive controller.

thanks ,
i will check it but please clear the low active and high active thing,, what is mean of that and how to test that two signals (if they are signals)?? thanks kamal .

yess these are two signals. Check ic datasheet and working logic voltage of ic. e.g. if ic logic is 3.3v and then check ic W/P pin is high active or low active on datasheet , if high active then jump 3.3v on W/P pin.
thanks ,
i will check it but please clear the low active and high active thing,, what is mean of that and how to test that two signals (if they are signals)?? thanks kamal .

- - - Updated - - -

yess these are two signals. Check ic datasheet and working logic voltage of ic. e.g. if ic logic is 3.3v and then check ic W/P pin is high active or low active on datasheet , if high active then jump 3.3v on W/P pin.
thanks ,

thanks for the info on write protection pin available in usb controllers.

Then why no pendrive manufacturer give the wr protection switch in any of their models?( i mean an external switch , like a tab on older floppy discs)

AFAIK i have not seen any pendrive with the switch.( very earlier pendrives , some 32MB have a switch.)

A model without switch, helps virus writers .

If any of the members know any pendrive model with WR protect switch , please give their names.

I am also searching that but not found so i dive in the circuit actually i want it for generic day to day support and does not wish the pen drive is get infection >> :)
thanks for the info on write protection pin available in usb controllers.

Then why no pendrive manufacturer give the wr protection switch in any of their models?( i mean an external switch , like a tab on older floppy discs)

AFAIK i have not seen any pendrive with the switch.( very earlier pendrives , some 32MB have a switch.)

A model without switch, helps virus writers .

If any of the members know any pendrive model with WR protect switch , please give their names.

Lots of first models of USB pen driver have small write protection switch. My first pen drive have 16MB in size works even today and have that small switch.

Just pay attention when buying, you can find in shop with write protection. Dont argue with sellers they 99% dont know what you talking, just look for that small switch. ;-)

List of USB Flash Drives with Hardware Write Protection
**broken link removed**

thanks kamal,, i found that the controller is ALCOR AU 6982 and the w/p pin is No.22 and its High active said in the datasheet.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks tpeter for info >>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back