Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does overriding mean??

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a programming environment it can mean replacing a function in a base class with your own function. (That supercedes the previous one when called)

Based on opps concept:-

same method names with same arguments and same return types associated in a class and its subclass.
this is also called as reusability of code in the programme

When comes to vlsi

Taking control of the signal

If you want to get proper answers then you should dedicate some time to ask your question properly and explain the context

I agree. The asker has not placed any context on the questions. So hence it's quite interesting to see all the varies responses based on the responder's OWN context's !! Very educative.

cheers!

since it was in general computers forum we assumed that she was asking about overriding operators or some sort and posted our comments

but i am with you guys more specific questions are appropriate

Yes, I agree you must specify the context of your question but since it is in computer section, so in programming terms or according to the OOPS concepts, Function overriding means, same function name with same parameter list i.e exactly identical functions. There is one more term related to this is the Overloading which means same function name but different parameter list.

My extra two cents worth:
Since the question is open ended an Oxford dictionary approach might have been educational too. :)

Oxford Definition of overriding
adjective
1. more important than any other considerations:
the overriding concern of the organizers was the financial crisis
2. technical extending or moving over something, especially while remaining in close contact:
oceanic lithosphere beneath an overriding continental plate

..... since it is in computer section, so in programming terms or according to the OOPS concepts.....

Uhhh... there's more to "General computers" than just programming & software. There's hardware & circuits as well y'know ..
Sadly it seems that most "computer" people know little more than maybe where the RESET button is !! Now THAT's pretty Overiding.. heh.. :)

It's been a month since the thread was created and the OP didn't bother to post any additional info so I consider this thread useless and as such will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back