Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Argon filling problem help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

masood1369

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Argon and Mixture Filling problem
I am an instrumentation engineer and working in a gas plant where on of the many works is to fill Argon gas and Mixture(Argon+CO2). Recently the plant was tripped due to an indicator ‘Max. Pressure On’, this problem was looked into by checking the complete line for any clogs or substances blocking, safety valves functionality, vent valves, pressure switches, transmitters etc. yet the problem still exists.
A motor is connected near the storage tank for cooling and supplying the gas at a pressure of 157 bars for the multifunction valves near the filling rack and these racks 2 clusters space for filling alternately.
The basic procedure for operating this filling is:
1. Provide Electrical supply to start the PLC and pump
2. Start the cooling of the pump(15 minutes)
3. Then start the motor
4. Fill from the filling racks.

Can you guys help me out to troubleshoot the problem and make it work?
Thanks
Masood Hussain

I have no experience with your setup...

But the alert about overmuch pressure brings to mind the advice to let a few minutes go by after shutting off an air-conditioner, before turning it on again.

The reason is because liquid remains in the compressor at shut-off. You must give it time to return to gas. Because if it is liquid, the pistons cannot compress it. They encounter extremely high pressure.

In your system, does argon change state from gas to liquid, or vice-versa?

Which is the pump supposed to pump... liquid or gas?

Furthermore there may be a needle valve somewhere in the lines, where liquid converts to gas. This can get clogged.

The Argon changes its state from Liquid to Gas.

The pump pumps Liquid from the storage tank to the vaporizer which runs the gas towards the filling racks.
Also it was noticed that the suction pressure was not developing. What may be the reason for this? kindly advice.

I havent checked the needle valve will do that tomorrow morning.

suction pressure was not developing. What may be the reason for this?

This suggests a fault in the pump. As in a perforation perhaps. In a seal or piston?

It might have been caused by the overmuch pressure condition which triggered the alarm previously.

It's also possible there are tubes which must be bled of gas bubbles, so they can fill up completely with liquid. This is done in loops that recirculate refrigerant, etc.

I don't know if bleeding pipes needs to be done in your system. I don't know if argon liquid would naturally fill up the tube to the pump on its own pressure.

On the other hand, if there is argon gas in the pump, and the pump can only pump liquid, then you may need to bleed the pipes so argon liquid can fill the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.