Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling Charging /Discharging current of Supercapacitor with a DC-DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishanand14

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone!

Please tell me how will I control the charging current of a Supercapacitor Bank using a DC-DC converter.

Connecting a suitable value and wattage resistor I can control the charging current but this will be an inefficient method.

I want to charge a supercapacitor bank from a 3V supply till 5V via a boost converter.
The max. current output of the 3V supply can be 500mA.

I plan to make a boost converter using MC34063.

How can I limit the output current of the boost converter to max. Say 200mA.

Thanks for the reply.

What's an ICL chip and how it works?
Can you please name a few popular ones?

Greeting to everyone!

Can I use TL431 or LM317 as current limiter while charging the supercap bank from a low current supply.

LM 317 is a constant current source and it can be used to provide a constant current to the super cap

TL 431 is a shunt voltage reference

better go with LM 317 as a source

Thanks Jeffrey!

My intention is to limit the charging current of the supercapacitor bank with minimum losses.
If I use LM317 it will waste a lot of energy as heat.

The charging source will be hand cranked PMDC motor which will act as a DC generator.

Say my DC generator is generating 0.5V -4V depending on the cranking speed.I am using a DC-DC converter to step it up to 5V[The converter will start working at 1.5V] so that power generated even during low cranking is utilized to charge the supercap.

So what you are suggesting me that I shall use a LM317 in between DC_DC converter and the supercap bank to limit the current.
Untitled.png
I can also limit the current by using a Carbon resistor of suitable value.
So, what advantage I will gain over carbon resistor method.

Please clarify.

i am wondering if you want the simulink model or you want the circuit , or have u had your question answered

Status
Not open for further replies.