Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intel's core series v/s AMD's Quad Core processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashish.mw

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

last few days have been quite confusing over the topic of which company's processor is best suited for the highly computation intensive processes. Is it intel's core i5 or AMD's quad core A6?
Please help me by suggesting which one is better.

please enlighten on quad core being a gpu.
My major motive is to use it for EM simulations, MATLAB and some other really heavy softwares.

You'd need to check the specs and the benchmarks for the particular CPU, there are quite a few
websites that review these things.
Clearly for some software, the number of cores (e.g. the i5 may have 2 cores) will matter, but for other software
there may be less of an advantage and a higher clock speed may be preferable.
Swings and roundabouts. Why stop at quad core. Maybe you need two CPUs.
My major motive is to use it for EM simulations, MATLAB and some other really heavy softwares.
I'd suggest lots of fast memory may be useful if you have large amounts of data. 24GB, 96GB, who knows
what you're going to do.
You should check the software vendor for performance recommendations, I'm sure they would tell you
the recommended hardware if you asked them, and you'd get a better answer.

try going through review reports of professionals about the product and also check whether the board supports your need really well other wise there is no point in doing it

thank you people..i will try looking for information in some other dedicated professional forums for this particular problem.

both are good but i prefferd to AMD. you can choose anyone from these. and also install more memory and an good PSU.

8-Core AMD (FX-8120) or 4-core Intel (Core i5 3570) processor for CST studio?

I find it hard to decide what processor to schoose for a PC configuration for simulation.
I am thinking about AMD Bulldozer FX 8120, which has 8-cores or Intel Core-i5, which has 4-cores. In my oppinion the processor with the bigger amount of cores will be better for simulations, but I will be glad to hear your oppinion also. I was recommended to use Xeon, but I don't want to exceed 250$ for the CPU, so it has to be somewhere around that.

The other components will be 2x4 GB 1600MHz RAM, GF GTX 550 Ti, 1GB Asus ENGTX550 Ti DC/DI/1GD5, PCI-E, DDR5, 192bit, HDMI & DVI.

Please share your oppinion. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back