Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with the PCIe based FpGA development kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

syedshan

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am facing strange problem with one my PCIe based FPGA development kit, Its interface is PCI-Express and it works very strangely.

When I install the supporting software freshly it works for the first time unless I turn off my computer then it does not detect he PCIe device at all...

I am really baffled by the way it is operating now. It means that even if i uninstall it and reinstall even then it does not work. To make it work again I have to reinstall whole window again.

I am working in a lab and I have tried this on 3 different PCs. What can be the possible reason.

Bests,
Shan

Re: Strange PCIe problem.

Things to try:

Open the Device Manager. It's in the System control panel. (You must click the Hardware tab. Then click Device Manager.)

See if the card shows up in the list. See if has an Alert icon (yellow triangle) next to it. This means something isn't right.

If the card is not in the list, then it was not detected.

Examine other devices in the list, which may be related. It might provide clues to what is wrong.

If the PCIe card was detected, double click its icon, or related heading (maybe PCI adapters?).

The device settings window should come up.

See what status message shows. It is supposed to say 'This device is working properly.' If not then it might say 'This device could not be installed.' Or 'Drivers were not installed.' Etc.

Click the Driver tab. Details tab. Resources tab. Any of these may give you a hint what might be going wrong with the card.

Click the Troubleshoot button if there is one.

Try reading similar threads, found in a list at the bottom of this page.

Brad,

Thank you for your reply

Unfortunately card is not detected at all now...

Is there any command line solution in your knowledge to detect the card so that I can assure that actual problem is either with hardware or driver

Bests,
Shan

You say the card works the first time after installing software. Perhaps an updated version of software has come out. Have you checked whether you have the most recent version?

Apparently the software leaves the card in an unreadable state after use. Is there any command/ routine/ setting/ option, etc., that could switch off current flow in the power lines on the card?

Since the card works occasionally, it's not likely the contacts are dirty. Nevertheless you have an intermittent problem, and if there is dirt or tarnish present, it can prevent a good electrical connection, and the card may not be detected every time.

Before you do the following steps, you should attach a wire from yourself to an electrical ground, so that you have no static charge on you. Or at least touch a ground to discharge static from you, before you handle the card.

Remove the card from the computer. Rub a pencil eraser across the contacts until you can see clean metal surfaces, with no dirt or tarnish.

A rubber pencil eraser is commonly recommended. Sandpaper or steel wool are too coarse.

Looking with a magnifying glass, clean away all bits of eraser residue. Install the card and remove it again.

Examine the metal strips for any dirt or tarnish that was picked up from the contacts inside the computer.

Rub the card contacts with the eraser again.

Install the card, remove it again, examine for dirt.

By repeating these steps you are hoping to clean the contacts inside the computer, and on the card. The goal is to create a good electrical connection.

When installing the card, make sure its pins are fully seated in the computer.

Sometimes it helps to unplug power from the computer for 30 seconds, to let all circuits fall back to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.