Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the propagation delay constant for a given comparator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowpowermcu

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am performing humidity measurement using the HS1101 sensor. The idea of measuring the humidity is charging anf decharging the sensor(capacitance). Please look at the link
https://www.pic_examples.byethost3.com/capacitance_meter.html
As it is written in the link above, the solution is based on a timer which charges/decharges the capacitance and a comparator which catch the response time. This solution seems OK when measuring µF capacitance.
Now in my application I am measrung the capacitance of the HS1101 sensor which changes from 160 pF to 200 pF so I am strugling to get better accuracy:
I understand for a comparator there is a propagation delay that I should consider in my computations. But the question is:
Is the propagation delay constant for a given comparator? In other words, If I connect a 100 pF capacitance and I measure the prpagation delay did I find it equal to the case where I connect a 200 pF?
Sorry for being long and thank you in advance.

MCU Lüfter

The risetime is what will respond to loading changes, and
depending on how you define "delay" you could see up to
50% of that risetime (falltime) as a variable delay adder
(if your definition is based on the output 50% voltage swing
point).

Comparators also have an input overdrive sensitivity which
for slow-moving signals can really push out delay (like a
LM139 specs ~ 1uS for 5mV overdrive but will switch in
100nS if you give it 50mV). Of course most are not this
bad but it's illustrative.

Status