Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One simulations in mutiple machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryssw

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do anyone have try in C@dance to run a large simulations on several machines at the same time trying to reduce simulation time? If yes, how to setup in C@dance to do so? Is the method effective (i.e. are there much benefits on the simulation time)?

terryssw said:
Do anyone have try in C@dance to run a large simulations on several machines at the same time trying to reduce simulation time? If yes, how to setup in C@dance to do so? Is the method effective (i.e. are there much benefits on the simulation time)?

Probe around Analog Environment\Environment or Setup Simulator. I remember that there is a place for remote simulation. This is also possible for LVS and EXTraction and DRC.

The benefits may be slim, if any. I never trust this, as I am afraid that some stations may be down, and my data become fragmented. Also, for any unix applications, if you populate a lot of stations with your processes, people hate you -- these are the "fear factor".

Hi,

Try running Nexxim. You should gain a significant performance increase.

For a comparison see:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
Itai

I have two computer setup in Linux that are only used by our group people, and of course we all want to do simulations with two machines simultaneously. Just ignored the matter of other people usage and also suppose we are administrator of all machine, how could we do that?

IMHO, you'll not gain much by trying to parallize the things... The only thing I see is to run 2 different simulations in parallel on 2 workstations, i.e. you yourself split your simulation into 2 that can run in parallel. This can work for different sweep simulatios, but of course will not help with long transient or similar.

Do you know if it is possible to split one long tran simulation into several machine? I know that one can this in two CPU on the same machine (using multi-thread option), but is it possible on two machines?

This is possible and it is called clustering. You just connect the computers with a fast gigabit ethernet network, and then the threads can be run on different computers. The key thing is: your program needs to support this. The matlab environment eg provides in instructions that help you in this. But I doubt if cadence other environments already do the same.

terryssw said:

Not on different machine, but in different CPU may be

Spectre offers (5xxx ) multithread (1 machine with several processors) - Simulation-> AnalogOptions -> multithread

ALso could help using accelerated models.

Multithread works just for > 256 BSIM3(and up) MOS devices. Not for bipolars

Status
Not open for further replies.