Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me solve problem in ring oscillator design that uses inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.

akash_joshi

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i am trying to design a ring oscillators using the inverters . I have connected 7 inverters in cascade and the output of last is connected to input of 1st.
I am trying to design it in 180nm technology and to output of each inverter i have connected a capacitor of 400 fF.
I am not getting the sustained oscillations and im not able to understand why?
If someone help .........It will be great

Re: Design related Query

The simulator is likely finding the circuit's "DC operating point," the point at which all 7 inverters are in their forbidden region (it's a point of unstable equilibrium). A tiny bit of noise would cause it to oscillate.

Try setting your simulator to skip the DC operating point, and set an initial condition (such as, set the 1st inverter's input to 0V).

Im using Cadence Virtuoso as the design environment ............Can we set initial condition in it.

I'm not familiar with Cadence Virtuoso, but a quick Google search presents this result: Click here. In this tutorial, the author is simulating a ring oscillator as well. If you want to skip to the part discussing initial conditions, just search the page for "initial" and you'll find it immediately.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: jasonc2

jasonc2

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I'm not familiar with Cadence Virtuoso, but a quick Google search presents this result: Click here. In this tutorial, the author is simulating a ring oscillator as well. If you want to skip to the part discussing initial conditions, just search the page for "initial" and you'll find it immediately.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot it really helped.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.