Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veronika

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Manufacturer told me:
"Please note that in GND layer the distance between 0,3mm hole drill and landscape/polygon is 4mils, but should be 8mils."

Can anybody tell me what does it mean? The problem is on CAM negative plane (GND).

Manufacturer told me:
"Please note that in GND layer the distance between 0,3mm hole drill and landscape/polygon is 4mils, but should be 8mils."

Can anybody tell me what does it mean? The problem is on CAM negative plane (GND).

Answer: Whenever you are designing a PCB, it is much required to keep GND plane isolated. So if in a circuit if a wire is very close to GND plane then while fabricating there will be problems. also when heavy current flows there will be undesired flow of current. Hence sufficient space has to given. "mil" is unit for distamnce usually used in pcb fabrication. 4mil is very short distance and practically when u create it will be difficult to isolate two parts. Even 8mil is very small. Thats why the manufacturer suggested you that please increase the space btw the hole and the GND layer.

Answer: Whenever you are designing a PCB, it is much required to keep GND plane isolated. So if in a circuit if a wire is very close to GND plane then while fabricating there will be problems. also when heavy current flows there will be undesired flow of current. Hence sufficient space has to given. "mil" is unit for distamnce usually used in pcb fabrication. 4mil is very short distance and practically when u create it will be difficult to isolate two parts. Even 8mil is very small. Thats why the manufacturer suggested you that please increase the space btw the hole and the GND layer.

So if I use thermal connection between via and plane, I need to increase the outer diameter of thermal pad, am I right?

post a pic of your pcb board. hole and vias are different entities. you are speaking thermal pad... are you using any thermal materials as heat sinks? if not its something else.

I was wrong about thermals.. I have understood that I simply need to better separate via and plane.. Thank you!

Change the seperation distance to all pads/vias in your plane settings.

If you design with an 8th track/gap distance this also applies to planes/copper otherwise you put the price
of the board up and if your using a pcb pool supplier they will reject it for you to fix.

There must be a global setting for it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back