Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging/Discharging a supercapacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

milvapp

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Let's say I feed a series of supercapacitors from a PV panel with a 5V and 5mA average.
With the use of a boost regulator after the supercapacitors I want to to have an output
of 5V and 500mA.

How can I find how much will the discharging time of the supercapacitors will be
when I want them to produce 5V along with 500mA output?

Please ignore the balancing circuit for the supercapacitors or the input regulator after the
the PV panel.

Thank you in advance.

A 1 farad capacitor will loose 1V if the current drain is 1 A/Second, so your one will loose .5V /second. But the current will change as the voltage on the cap decays so as your load is 5/.5 = 10 ohms, once you have decided on the capacitor value, you can work out the time constant and apply the equation.
Frank

According to your explanation, you will be taking a constant power from the supercapacitors (considering an ideal boost). The calculation can be easy:

Energy available in the capacitors = 1/2 * C * ( (5 V)^2 - (Boost_Min_Input_Voltage)^2).

Time = Available Energy / (Power/boost_efficiency)
(you will be draining 2.5W/boost efficiency power from the supercapacitor)

Time = Available Energy / (Power/boost_efficiency)
(you will be draining 2.5W/boost efficiency power from the supercapacitor)

I didn't understand the last formula. Is it (Energy*boost efficiency)/Power?
Supposing that I have an energy of 60 Joules and the boost efficiency is 75%
then time=60*0.75/2.5 =18 secs?

Thank you :)

Exactly. Therefore, if you improve boost efficiency you will increase the available time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back