Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flash AT89C51 IC via COM port

Status
Not open for further replies.

prathee_m

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I need to program an 8051 micro controller (AT89C51 brand new...I mean not pre-programmed). I made the hardware wire up to connect the IC via UART-COM port to my Computer.
Can I flash this IC via this COM port connection...? Before programming when I connect via minicom (or hyper terminal) I could not see any messages from the device.is this OK ?
Any help appreciated...any HW circuit diagram just to verify I made the set up correct..?
Thanks in advance

regards,
prathee_m

Here is a basic circuit for communication with PC using RS-232.

Thanks a lot, prongs1911...
I think I made the circuit right as in the diagram...so when I connect this to Hyperterminal, should I see some messages...?(because when I tried I did not see any messages...I am using a brand new AT89C51 IC, not preprogrammed)
Is this IC will come with some program in it by default...? How can I flash the IC...?

If the AT89c51 is not programmed then how will you be able to send/receive data or do anything?
You can refer to The 8051 Microcontroller and Embedded Systems Using Assembly and C by Muhammad Ali Mazidi Janice Gillispie Mazidi Rolin D. McKinlay. It has a few examples and good explanation of concepts.
Also try: **broken link removed**

Yes, that was the confusion for me on how to download the program...
If the IC is not preprogrammed, how can I download my first program in to it...? Is it possible to download the hex file via serial port..?
Or do I need some special HW connections for that...?

Definitely, I will have a look in to this book as you suggested...
Thanks a lot again...!

No, 89C51 requires a parallel programmer, it can not be programmed through serial port. Since you are starting your design, may be you should use 89S51/52 for which you can get cheap circuits and Software for In-System Programming from Net.

Ok. Yes, as a starting point I was looking for an IC that can be programmed using serial port. (because I dont have an option to use the parallel port in my laptop)
I just searched on how to program 89S51/52 that supports serial programmer...But in most of the schematics I had seen, it requires a pre-programmed ATmega/89 IC to build an ISP interface...
Here my problem is..can I connect this 89S51/52 (not a pre-programmed one) to my PC serial port and program it...(alos, I don't have a preprogrammed ATmega or any other IC)? Any circuit diagram, please...?

Yes, I think it would be better to buy a serial-programmer...
I just saw the details of Sunrom 89 usb programmer, but it needs Windows OS to use the applications
I am having only Ubuntu Linux. Do you suggest some good programmer that works with Linux distributions...?
Any hint whether the sunrom progrmmer can work with Linux...or any way to make it work...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back