Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

use pic16f887 for control steppe motor with l298

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipuna56

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is minimum voltage that can use for l298 VS pin

according to L298N datasheet,VS:VIH~46V,and minumim value of VIH=2.3V,it means VS minimum value is 4.8v

My stepper motor voltage is 24v
Is VS want to be 24 v

Nipuna,

First of all I will suggest you put the Block diagram of the work that you are planning to do..... l298 is H bridge driver IC .....so when you say your motor is 24v it will have current rating to...As per as my knowledge is concern I think you need to first download the datasheet of stepper motor....I think 24v is really high voltage rating motor ....

Also you need to find out the stepper motor is uni-polar of bi-polar.... Please put the stepper motor number that you are planning to use on the forum....I have doubt that you will be needing such a high voltage across the stepper motor

So once you are clear about these details ....start developing the schematic...

Good Luck

Ok I went though the datasheet of the motor that you said ....I says ....24v in both bi-polar and unipolar mode .....also it is very powerful permanent magnet motor with very high torque rating ....

However, In my view this might be used in the printers bcz they require large torque at cases like JAM bcz of paper.... also one of the interesting thing that I can across is current is 500ma per phase....so What I will suggest you to put altest 200 ohm 10watt resistor in series with the motor so that ....I will make some voltage drop....and as I read your motor rating it has 30 ohm and 5.5 ohm resistance in different mode of operation....so If we go with the idea of 500ma it appears to have 15v or 2.5 v voltage drop across it....and then you can fine tune the resistors in series with motor....

I hope this will work for you....

Good Luck

if u know about a stepper motor controller by using mosfet transistors
can u please explain about that?

I think it is useful to use a L298N to drive the stepmotor
l298_step.png
For D1~D8,use fast recovery diode
and another way is to use darlington drivers such as ULN2803
I used ULN2803 to drive a 5v step motor before

Hi Nipuna56,

I had used most of the cases the stepper motor using BJT's.....only in one of the application I had used stepper motor driver IC SN74194.... However there are couple of IC's available on the market for stepper motor control ...... Now to answer your question in case of MOSFET (FET) is voltage control device and it comes with additional concept called as bootstrap in case of MOSFET based control.....How ever in case of BJT it is current control device so it give easy control ....Most of the stepper motor works on the principle on switching of the poles ( field winding ) and rotors of the stepper motor get in most of the cases attracted to magnetic pole.....Now the key here is you need to switch the winding in the sequential manner .....rotor of the motor start attracted in the direction of sequence of excitation given to the coil .....

I will recommend you to read first of this link to get an idea -

**broken link removed**
https://kitsnspares.com/admin/pdffiles/Stepper Motor Control using Microcontroller.pdf

Stepper motor IC in market -
https://electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=516
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/drv8811.pdf
https://www.sfu.ca/phys/430/datasheets/saa1027.pdf

I hope this will help you out...

Good Luck

l298 can overheat i think

In my view and as datasheet says that it have over temperature protection.....So it should not overheat ideally.....also operating range for junction temperature for this IC -30 to 130 degree so...that is also competent

Good Luck

what is the use of sens pins and enable pins in L298

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back