Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are shunt & jumper resistors used for in circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what are shunt resistors used for in circuits?

What are jumper resistors used for in circuits?

can i do see them in circuit but don't know how to use them if you're designing a circuit board

Shunt resistors are often used to measure current. They are precise resistors with a small value, so they can be reliably used for calculations.

For example, if you know a shunt resistor has a value of 1ohm, then when you force a current across it and read the voltage, that voltage will be equal to the current through the resistor.

Re: What are shunt & jumper resistors used for in circuits?

yes i have seen those

What others have u seen?

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen those bare wire jumps that look like staples on PCBs , but i have no idea why a designer or circuit would need those and used for

What resistor value can I use in parallel with any resistor value thats on a PCB that can be like a break or open resistor ? would it be a 10Meg or what value please? that can be used with any resistor value in parallel?

Re: What are shunt & jumper resistors used for in circuits?

well thats the primary purpose I have seen them used for, but really anything requiring a small but precise voltage could use them.

I am using a shunt resistor right now in a current driver I just built. I use the .47 ohm shunt resistor to provide a feedback voltage to an opamp, without dissipating much power in the resistor. Since I am trying to get a lot of power from my circuit, the shunt resistor is ideal, because my 1.5A drive does not dissipate much power in a resistor with that small of a value.

Op amp circuits commonly have them, like mine mentioned above.

- - - Updated - - -

yes i have seen those

What others have u seen?

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen those bare wire jumps that look like staples on PCBs , but i have no idea why a designer or circuit would need those and used for

What resistor value can I use in parallel with any resistor value thats on a PCB that can be like a break or open resistor ? would it be a 10Meg or what value please? that can be used with any resistor value in parallel?

The "staples" are lengths of wire with a very small but known resistance. You will almost always find one in a multimeter, because they are most commonly used to measure current without putting much load on the circuit.

Any resistor in parallel with another resistor will have a total value no greater than the smallest of the two resistors. A calculation for resistors is:
1/A = 1/R1 + 1/R2

given this, if you have a 100 ohm resistor in parallel with a 100k ohm resistor, the resistance will be just less than 100 ohms. if you have a 100 ohm resistor in parallel with a 10 ohm resistor, the resistance will be just less than 10 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.