Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get Constant Current output using Constant Voltage Driver ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanks85

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Guys,

I am using a constant voltage driver (MAX: 45W) to drive RGB Leds (low power) .

Now i need to drive High Power Leds and for which i have to use Constant current driver.

I thought to use LT3956 which could convert constant voltage to constant current output , but the problem is that it has only one channel.

Where as i need RGB channels in the Output.

Any help shall be appreciated

Thank you very much.

I think you are going to need 3 of the Lt3956 if you want to control the different colors seperately.

Dear sanks
Hi
Why not an SMPS ? for example a simple flyback converter . ( in current mode topology ) . it's out put current can't exceed from authorized value .
BTW : what do you mean by constant current ? are you referring to a current source ? or just limited current ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

The LT3956 seems to be overkill.

Do you know of the common trick of using a three-terminal voltage regulator as a constant current source?

The circuit, below, maintains its design voltage across the series R. By a suitable choice of the regulator's voltage and the value of R you can set the current to whatever you like up to the regulator's maximum value.

constantcurrentsource.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back