Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to build your own motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
make motherboard

I realize this post is old, but I was hoping those that still might be perusing this post might be able to answer my question. I have five or so motherboards that have one thing another wrong with them, can you and is it conceivable to mix and match and make one good motherboard out of components of others?

how to make motherboards

I have five or so motherboards that have one thing another wrong with them, can you and is it conceivable to mix and match and make one good motherboard out of components of others

It depends what is wrong with them and if you have the proper tools. For the chipsets you can probably swap and reball the BGA's. For most other parts you can probably buy new ones. PC motherboards aren't really worth fixing. A better choice would be Laptop motherboards.

The steps are pretty much the same.

1) Physically inspect motherboard and look for any damage. If the circuit board has major trace damage forget it and chuck the board out.
2) If a socket, (like a PCI socket or a CPU socket etc.), is damage you probably need a soldering pot to desolder and resolder a new one safely without destroying the motherboard.
3) Check Voltage at the CPU socket and throughout the MB.
Usually Bad cap's or burnt out Voltage Reg. If the coil looks burnt you must rewind them. For voltage at the CPU socket, you need to make a special Jig to jumper the voltage selection and to check the voltage. You can either buy it or make it.
4) Stick a P.O.S.T. card and see if all check outs, (this will show you if the chipset is bad).
5) Bios could be corrupted so you may have to reflash

This is a simplified approach. A Oscilloscope would be pretty handy to check the voltage swings from the voltage regulators.

build own motherboard

my doubt is not that..had internet and of course,EDA board existed way back in 1970's??
if no, how come jhallows joined on 1 Jan1970..
kidding guyss..

design a motherboard

is there anybody that can really built motherboard i think is about how to assemble

how to design a motherboard

assembling is fine upto some extent if you have got the ckt design,board design and the board ready.
But the topic of the day is to build it from the scratch which is a herculean task with bare hands.

building motherboard

Thank you all for reply.....

Wow after so long my thread still active :D

and thank you all for the information :D

how to make a motherboard

Where can someone purchase a mini(small) size
motherboard and make a mini-PC?
I found info about such thing here : www dot mini-itx dot com

However, I am wondering how easy is to add additional hardware (HDD, monitors, etc) on this platform

build motherboard from scratch

mini tx shud be fine.
if you know the in & out of normal mother boards and assembling,its very easy to do with this.

how to make my own motherboard

well, I've built one. It is exactly 133 SDRAM :) as johncsl82 mentioned, but it is not x86 compatible. it is based on a DSP - C6711 and it works fine. It has AC97 audio too.
**broken link removed**

how to make a mother board

nice piece of work. well done. how did you solder the ICs? was it easy?

creating your own motherboard

Easy …. not at all !!!
It is easy to solder a BGA in some quantities. There are many small companies (even in Bulgaria) who will solder them if you pay for it :))
The point is when you have one produced PCB prototype and only one DSP sample. Well... now I have one soldered and one dead :)). To do this we had to develop a new "technology" that uses controlled heating from below, hot air from the top and ... PRESSURE. It’s weird. We were three men to come up with the soldering procedure (one expert in GSM repairing). The funniest part is that the soldering expert said "do not tell anybody that I did this" :))
The big difficulty is that in a garage environment we cannot make a uniform heating with the required time-temperature curve.

how to build a mother board

all are posible ha! ha! ha!

make my own motherboard

Your own motherboard:?:
Are you lost way???????????????:D

how to design your own motherboard

HI! I need to change a little smt operational amplificator on the motherboard of compaq nx9010, and I search a schematic of all welded components on the motherboard. But I found only an assistance manuals -.- .
Can you help me to find a list of a single component (included resistances and capacitors) on the motherboard?

Thanks and sorry for the bad English!
Enrico

building a motherboard from scratch

up! ;)

make own motherboard

From what I've read, I gather two things:

It's possible.
But assembly is not easy

Theoretically though, if you were capable of operating on such a fine, small scale, you would be able to produce such a thing.

No one has posted in a little bit, but I'd like to continue this thread, as I have questions myself.

I'm not trying to make an actual board as a DIY project.
I'd just like to learn more by asking questions about making motherboards.

Added after 45 minutes:

Please excuse how unprofessional this drawing is.

But let's say we're trying to make a very low performing representational hand held system. We can even pretend it's supposed to look like a really bad copy of the Nintendo DS or PSP.

Instead of a RAM card like on a PC motherboard, it has:
SDHC 8GB Flash Memory

Instead of a Hard Drive like on a PC motherboard, it has:
SDHC 32GB Flash Memory

And because of the size and performance of the new Intel Atom, like all netbooks, cellphones, and handheld devices now days, it has:
Intel Atom Processor

Then it just has some random LCD, a little Speaker that beeps or something, and a little Key Pad for basic input.

All of these are illistrated on the sketchy block diagram...

Now what my question is, if you set out to make this... the chipset... would you NEED to get something from Intel to work with their processor?
Or since it uses unique hardware (like SDHC Flash instead of DRAM), would you need to use something like a PIC Micro Controller to program custom firmware?

Again, don't blast this saying it's impossible.
I'm a game programmer, not looking to BUILD something, but UNDERSTAND HOW to build it.

Thanks for reading ^_^

how to create motherboard

I think you should start out with something small like a microcontroller like PIC 16F or 8088... something with a clock processor speed of 20MHz or less. If you want a really easy start go pick up a Basic Stamp at parallax.com

designing a motherboard

so johncsl82, did you build your own computer :) ?

I agree looking at the specs of motherboards I would get rid of the backwards compatibility. If I designed one with only the protocols that I want I think it would be smaller, if I bought a couple of motherboards they would have the parts I need;
There are plenty of DIY PCB instructions. The solder companies use now a day's is cheap and removing parts would be hard but not impossible. e.g if I do sata why would I want IDE?.

Here's a request:

Please, for the love of *whatever* - in-build something which can repel insects!

Just then, my computer spazzed out after I turned it off - it would not turn back on properly. I nearly took it to the shop. But I opened it up & there were spider webs. Not much dust, but all the same I cleaned it out. Found a few insect bodies on the motherboard & the graphics card. I removed the graphics card & found more bodies, cleaned it, put it back together & it's fine.

It's 2011. Companies haven't done it yet. Their heads are in the clouds ;)
I know it would just be an issue of cost cutting. But either they should place some device which repelled, or just cover the bare parts with plastic.

Grrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back